Monday, April 25, 2011

The Lord of The Rings

This series of books by J.R.R. Tolkien is a great way to spend your time, though it is very long and descriptive so some people might get bored (Not me though! :)) It starts off quite a while after The Hobbit finished, and the first chapter or so is explaining about what happened in between that time. I like how this book is written in a way that, to me, makes me think that it is Frodo or Bilbo is writing it, because although it is written in a storylike way, it could be thought of as Travel Writing, because sometiems there are stars to explain what something is, and also there is an index, which I think this a really neat touch to the book, giving it more depth.
I also only realized how old the book is when I started reading it by some of the language Tolkien uses such as ere (Before) or adding an 's' on to the end of the word hundred and thousand. I also like that even though I had seen the movies before, I still didn't know what was going to happen, because Tolkien wrote it in a way that the directer didn't reinact exactly, for example the ending is a big surprise.
I think anyone should read this, because it is a great book, and the first of its kind, and the way Tolkien uses description is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment