Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My name

My full name is Vuong Dieu Ban. I am not really sure what does it mean but my parents used to tell me that why they named me Ban. First of all, my parents are Chinese so they have plenty of weird believes and customs. When I was born, my dad went to the soothsayer to ask how to name me. Looked at the perpetual calendar, I am aqua. Water will be better with tree so when name me, my dad said that it must be word which had both tree and water in side. Chinese is a bit special I think, it has lots of sets, like if you want to write the word "flower" or something has to do with grass, we have to add the grass set on the top of that word. My name is the same of that. The double cross with two comma at the side represented the trees, three commas came next showed water. That was the word which had both of them inside so my dad decided to give me that name. But because I was born in Vietnam, the name had to be in Vietnamese so when my name was translated from Chinese to Vietnamese, it became Ban. My family name is Vuong, which means King. The one I hate most is my middle name Dieu. My dad said that Dieu is bright, brilliant, radiant family. But the time I went to school, about year 3 I remembered, my friends, he called me Diu Ban, he missed the "e" but that leaded to a serious issue. In vietnamese, we have some similar sound-homonymous. Dieu and Diu read the same but the meaning is diffrent. Diu means girly. From that day on, he called me girly Ban, Ban girly. That was realy irritate me. Well, Vuong Dieu Ban is my name after all, whether i hate it or not, i have to accept it. I don't have a nick name, don't know why. I realize that name is our but people use that more than us-and maybe that's why we have a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment