Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My Name

This was written the day it was set, but was turned in on the day it was

My name Stephen, just plainly means ‘CROWN’, but my name also comes in different variations such as Stephen, Steven, Stefan, and Stefano. It is a Greek name, too. It indeed may sound rather royal and rich, but I’m afraid I’m not that kind. The reason I got this name was rather awkward, my father never knew it meant crown but gave it to me because he liked the name and because he could easily translate it. See-Tai-Phan.

My surname, Mok, only means ‘to not learn the wrong’. I do not really understand what it 100% means because my parents refuse to tell me more. Obviously it is from Hong Kong Cantonese language only, which makes me feel unique, but I do not know anything about who it originated from (not the Dragon King). The reason I have this name is simple, because it’s my family’s name! I should join the militia, because it runs in the family. Yes, there obviously a lot of people making fun of my name.

My middle name and last name, Man Hin, means ‘poet’ even though I’m not a good one either. It is also of a Cantonese origin, I was not named after any famous people I know apart from my cousin, Mok Man Wai, otherwise, Daniel Mok. I believed that this name became popular in Hong Kong when England returned it to China. Yippee! Well, the reason for this name is to ‘stop boys from being feminine’ sort of thing, hmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment